Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as an Automotive tech

2003 jaguar x type, 3.0 liter v6. cruise control not

Customer Question

2003 jaguar x type , 3.0 liter v6. cruise control not available light comes on sometimes. Cause engine to buck when excellerating
JA: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?
Customer: what fuse? I just typed 3.0 liter for the engine size. Is this a computer or real person I'm talking to?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far? I'm the Jaguar Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Are you a real person?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Jaguar Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: What is 5 x 3 ?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Ronnie replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to determine what is failing with the cruise control signal you are going to need to start first with scanning the system to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting . Once you have them then the pinpoint test for that code can be performed. If you can get the scan done and post back with the fault code I will help you from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh, I forgot to mention I'm getting P0174 and P0171 fault code along with the cruise control not available light. I do have a code reader and it says Bank 2 is too lean and sometimes Bank 1. It is a intermittent problem. I already replaced all four oxygen sensors and the fuel filter but I think I found the problem. The orings on the Intake Manifold Tuning Valves are shot. Especially the upper unit. Somebody used grey RTV sealant on it to stop the vacuum leak. I replaced the orings and like what I see so far.
Expert:  Ronnie replied 4 months ago.

The lean code P0171 and P0174 on your 3.0 are common to set due to leaking Intake Manifold Tuning Valve O-Rings and its very common for them to leak . I would start first with Replacing the Intake Manifold Tuning o-rings, upper and lower. These code will have no affect on the cruise control which is a separate issue. Let get these codes addressed first.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, the cruise control not available seem to only occur when the P0174 and P0171 codes set. Gonna wait and see what happens. I will give you a good rating although I found the problem myself. If the cruise control not available message comes back I'll call you again. Thanks
Expert:  Ronnie replied 3 months ago.

I agrre with you , Lets get the vacuum leaks corrected and see if this will resolve the problem your having with the cruise control . Im here if you need me. Let me know.