Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2004 Jaguar XJ8. When key is turned a warning Config E is

Customer Question

2004 Jaguar XJ8. When key is turned a warning Config E is displayed and about 5 other warnings including ABS, Transmission and Traciton control. The car will not start in this conditions, but turns over.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I do not n
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to install Mongoose JLR software on my computer but it failed
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I wanted to reflash the ECM
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
Did you replace or try to program the ECM?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't find anyone who can do that locally who has the software to do it. I have spent $300 on software and laptop modifications to try to do it myself but the mongoose JLR still doesn't work.If I remove the ECM can I take or send it somewhere to be replaced or reflashed or does it have to be on the vehicle?I don't want to tow the car across town.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

The ECM needs to be in the vehicle to program it. You need the IDS/SDD software. On your vehicle the VCM is recommended for doing any flash programming.