Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited

My 2002 Jaguar x type failed its Emissions Test ... I was

Customer Question

My 2002 Jaguar x type failed its Emissions Test ... I was told that the that the "Controller" for the Emissions System failed and as a result would need to be replaced. I was told that would need to be reprogrammed by the Dealer. The Speed Sensor was replaced and the car tested for Emissions again but failed, he also said there were a number of other sensors that did not clear. Is the "Controller" the On Board Diagnostic Computer? Or the ABS Module? Or, could it be something else?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, what you are describing is the main engine ecu, often referred to as engine control unit, engine computer unit or electrical control unit.

This is responsible for all the running and emissions systems of the engine and it does need to be coded in with specialist equipment, usually main dealer level unfortunately.

There are other options, ecu repair centres usually can repair or rebuild and preserve the coding. Sometimes you can purchase ecu's set back to a virgin state or reprogrammed with an immobiliser defeat so that it plugs in and runs regardless of what car, key, etc.

If you have a list of diagnostic trouble codes that led the technician to their decision I would be happy to see if there is any cross reference to them all.

(Do you have access to a diagnostics machine?)

Please rate ;)