Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Car locks up and Blinking "D" light happens. Engine light

Customer Question

Car locks up and Blinking "D" light happens. Engine light comes on. No other error messages
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 96,000 miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: no don't have a scan tool
JA: What year is your Jaguar?
Customer: Jaguar XF 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried anything so far
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no it seems like this has happened to a few people, one person though there was a switch controller that needed to be replaced
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
Usually this is caused by a malfunctioning gear selector module which is that shifter. To be sure we will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. This error will cause fault codes to be logged in multiple modules. A Jag factory tool will be needed to communicate with these modules but we can try using a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store. I also recommend we have the battery tested and the cable connections checked as low voltage can be the cause.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can go get an OBDII scan tool and get the battery checked, does it matter that the navigation switched off for a moment or 2 and then switched back on? Would a problem with the shifter still cause that?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
That could also be battery related or could be an infotainment module. It will not be related to the shifter.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah that happened at the same time as everything else, so would that imply that the root cause was battery...since that seems it would be too coincidental to everything else occurring.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
that is where we should start. Battery and charging system.