Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehciles

2003 xk8 convertible top will not retract fluid has drained

Customer Question

2003 xk8 convertible top will not retract fluid has drained from the top where the latch locks down
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?
Customer: 55000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to figuer out the problem and what caused it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: will not retract down
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you

let me look up the diagrams and what u need on it , that top cylinder need replacement , the O-ring blew

give few minutes be right back

This the emergency procedure for manually putting it down

Emergency Manual Raising Of Top Manual Latching of Top Using Key Provided

In the event of latch failure when the top is raised, a visual warning will illuminate on instrument panel. In such an emergency, the top must be manually positioned using a center pull down facility, then latched using a key stowed alongside the top operating pump. To manually operate the latch, the key is inserted in the recess in the windscreen header, turned clockwise to ensure the latch is fully released, then turned counter-clockwise to lock.

The top can also be manually raised in the event of failure to power operate. In such a situation, the pump isolating valve must first be turned fully counter-clockwise to the manual operation position. Manual latching is then achieved as described above. When manually raising the top, the linkages from the frame to the wheel arches must be moved to the over-center position.

Emergency Manual Lowering of Top

In the event of failure of powered lowering of the top, the following procedure must be adopted. Failure to follow this procedure when manually lowering the top can result in damage to the frame and operating linkages.

1. Lower the rear quarter glass by pressing the rear of the 'ROOF' button once.
2. Rotate the pump valve (located in the RH side-well of the trunk) counter-clockwise to the manual operation position.
3. Remove the blanking plug from the header trim, insert the Allen key provided (stowed alongside the top pump) and unlatch the top by turning the key clockwise.

Direction of Manual Thrust During Emergency lowering of Top

4. Reaching behind the top rear quarter curtains, pull the rams and linkages at both sides firmly downwards as far as possible.
5. Manually lower top to stowed position, if necessary repeating step 4 above.

The top latch cylinder is leaking below is the R&R to replace it .

My advice buy new one or send yours out and rebuild it ,

if you search ebay for hydraulic cylinder rebuild you will find a lot of companies where you can mail yours in and they will repair and return , usualy within 2 days .

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)