Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

02 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 (VIN: SAJEA53D82XC13145) - customer

Customer Question

02 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 V6 (VIN: SAJEA53D82XC13145)
- customer complained of A/C not getting very cold
= a/c system is charged properly
= 'B2308 - in car temperature sensor inlet motor failure' / fault found in climate control
= pinched off heater hose(s) with vice grips and a/c got colder
= swapped the temp blend door actuator with another and nothing changed. also checked movement of actuator with it connected but removed from airbox and both actuators went thru identical ranges of movement while I adjusted the temp at the climate control.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Can you tell me what the high and low side pressures are? Can the scan tool read live data like all the temp sensor readings? If you remove the actuator and manually move the door is the air cold?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. Our scan tool does read live data including the temp sensor readings. I will put the gauges back on the car to get the readings, as well as further check the function of the temp door first thing in the morning. I don't think I mentioned it before but the passenger side vents blow alot cooler than the driver side.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
OK sounds like a refrigerant problem like a faulty compressor or possibly c logged orifice tube. Lets put the gauges on it to see what the pressures are. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

gauges read 60 and 280. center vents are blowing a cool 72 degrees on both sides. compressor was recently replaced (new/reman). pinched off heater hoses with no change in temp, so I believe air box function is ok. I'm leaning toward the orifice tube at this point since its an inexpensive and quick repair, though I know new/reman compressors sometimes fail prematurely.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

These pressures do seem high so I wonder if there is a slight restriction. Remove the orifice tube to check for contaminants.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Orifice tube had some debris in screen. Replaced it then recharged the system. Initially the a/c temp dropped as fast as normal while being charged down to low 50s on the temp. The low side was 40-45 high side was around 250. Shortly after the a/c temp warmed up to the upper 60s and the pressures raised back to where they were before I swapped the orifice tube. I'm going to inspect the new orifice tube and probably replace it again and recharge the system.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok sounds good. If you have not already done so we should vacuum down the system to gt rid of any moisture. We can have a problem with the accumulator in the passenger wheel well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Replaced the accumulator and charged the system but its still performing about the same as it had before. The a/c got down to upper 60s/low70s at idle then upper/mid 60s while revved to 2k rpm on a cold start. Low side pressure around 50 and high side 250.

P.S. I removed actuators at airbox and manually actuated doors to position for max cooling/low temp so I'm certain they aren't part of the problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Ok make sure we have good air flow through the condenser so make sure it is not clogged with debris. Another possibility is a defective compressor but sounds more like a restriction in the system. Let me know