Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

Voltage is running at 14.9 and battery burns out after 1

Customer Question

Voltage is running at 14.9 and battery burns out after 1 year use
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: Battery is dead, replace 1 year ago, mechanic said would not warranty because alt reading was 14.9
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 2002 x type
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm a 40 yr old female accountant... that being said, I've done all the work on my car so far and it's still running.. haha. I watch you tube and that has worked so far...
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not at this moment.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your X Type.

Did your mechanic test the alternator while he/she was there? Was the diode pattern abnormal?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it was tested. My mechanic told me that it was the alternator because he replaced a warrantied battery 1 year ago (which the prior battery lasted almost 3 years) and that the voltage from the alternator was 14.9 and so he could not warranty the battery again until he did a full diagnostic to determine if it was a faulty battery or the altinator. I took it to autozone where they confirmed the battery was dead and that the alternator was giving 14.9 volts. They said that if I bought a new battery that it would not last because the alternator was giving off too high voltage
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't believe the diode pattern was abnormal - as neither place said it was. Just high voltage

I see. The problem will not be the battery at all and will be the alternator. Just and FYI and you may already know this but car batteries have 6 cells hooked in series and each has 2.1 volts. Thats why a good battery has 12.6 volts (6 cells X 2.1 volts). Well a good charging system should put out around 13.6-13.9 volts (even 14.0 if the battery was dead from like using the radio when picking up a friend) but no more than that. At 14.9 volts the internal voltage regulator or the alternator is not regulating the voltage like it should.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. That's what I wanted to confirm. Makes sense. Case closed!

My pleasure! If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.

Were you able to see my last reply?