peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.

How can I get the key out of the ignition?

Customer Question

Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the ignition is all the way off and the key will not remove at all this can be due to an internal mechanical fault in the ignition cylinder itself needing replaced.I have seen the tumblers come apart in the cylinder causing this issue here.If the key will not turn off all of the way this can be due to the shifter not all the way in park or the shifter release solenoid stuck or an issue with the ignition switch (electrical) or the ignition cylinder.In some cases you can spray a tiny amount of lubricant into the cylinder and work the key to release it.If this does not work then a lock smith,dealer or repair center will have to look into this issue to locate and repair the fault unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete