Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

I have been experiencing a clunking sound when I stop and

Customer Question

Good Morning Richard,
I have been experiencing a clunking sound when I stop and then take off. Its more pronounced if I am turning slowly left over a speed bump. I can feel it somewhat in the steering wheel. like a CLink noise. I have replaced End links, shocks, shock mounts, and stabilizer bar bushings. control arm bushing look good from what I can see.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description sounds like the lower steering column coupling is the source of the noise. In October 2002 Jaguar issued a technical service bulletin concerning steering rack knocking or rattling. The bulletin involves replacing the coupling with a revised rubber coupling and replacing the power steering return line.

2002 Jaguar XJ8 TSB 211-06

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good Afternoon Clayso,
I have the 2002 XJ8 with rubber coupling at the bottom of steering column. I intend on changing the power steering return hose this weekend. I noticed after changing shock on passenger side I hear a knocking/loose sound from the shock over small bumps. the top shock nut is tight.
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

And a Good Afternoon to you,

Sounds like you have narrowed down the noise to the passenger side. I can say that shocks don't usually make noises unless they're completely worn out or broken, then there is the excessive bounce that's a dead give away. It's possible to have a defective shock, but if the noise was there before replacement, kind of hard to say.

Raise the right front wheel off the ground from the lower control arm and hit the tire and listen for any noises, personally I use a heavy rubber hammer and bang on the inside, outside, top and bottom of the tire. Let me know if there are any noises similar to the ones you're experiencing.