Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Ya - I followed some of your previous advice regarding

Customer Question

hiya - I followed some of your previous advice regarding sterio with no sound on a Jag Xtype.
Mine is a X-Type estate 55 model.
I have had the centre console out and checked connections behind that - all seems good. Have done the same in the boot - again all seemed good.
In the boot I have the amp, satnav and phone.
I then unplugged the twin fibre optic plug and as soon as I did the sterio started working. I plugged it back in and it carried on working.
BUT - if I switch the ignition off and then back on again, we are back to square one.
If the repeat the above by unplugging again. it once again starts working and continues to work once plugged back in, but won't work after switching ignition off and then back on.
What is going on?
I had left the stereo on while I was checking connections
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
When the system is not working does the nav and CD changer work but you just have no sound?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a cd changer (just the single cd in the front) - the nav works - the phone doesn't work - it says no phone fitted - the cd is playing, but no sound
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
OK could have more than one problem but go in the boot and disconnect the fiber optic connector each component in the stack then turn the ignition ON and see if you have a blinking.light.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK I disconnected everything in the back left quarter panel. (satnav and phone)There is a red light from one of the ports on the phone, there is nothing coming from the back of the satnavBut when I switch ignition on - there is now sound coming from stereo
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also there is no red light coming from either of the plugs
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The red light from back of the phone is there even if the ignition is off
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
OK thanks. Lets do this test. When it is not working press and hold the am/fm and Eject buttons at the same time. Then release both and press Eject and mix at the same time. Keep releasing and pressing both until it cycles through the modules. It should say main, cdc, nav, phone and amp. See what modules are displayed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for you help, but I seem to have solved it. The test didn't really work. When I pressed am/fm and eject I got a setup screen, but when I pressed eject/mix I got nothing.Went into back and disconnected main loom plug to phone and plugged it back in and everything now works.Must have been a dodgy connection?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for trying to help anyway
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
OK keep me posted with any updates.