Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2005 xtype, 3.0 that has multiple misfire codes on

Customer Question

I have a 2005 xtype, 3.0 that has multiple misfire codes on bank 2.. p0300, 0302, 0304, 0306. I replaced the spark plugs (all 6), swapped the injectors and replaced the coils on cylinders 2 and 4.. The check engine light flashes, then comes on steady. There is a misfire at idle but clears up when you drive.. The check engine light also goes out when driving. The front cat was replaced as well this week.. Same problem. All parts were replaced within the last week... compression in the 3 front cylinders is 190.. Car has 85K miles.
Help!!
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Do all these codes return when the engine light comes on? Does it usually miss after first starting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
first code 0300, then the check engine lite flashes and the additional codes come up...
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
Does this happen right after starting? Does the scan tool used to pull fault codes have the capability to read live data?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It happens after it idles for a few minutes..The scan tool does do live data..
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
OK we need to monitor the long and short fuel trims for both banks. They will read a % and a good value would be between -7 to +7. See what they read when the engine is running good then when it is misfiring. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for about 10 minutes and see what they read when you reconnect it and start the engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ST FTRM1% 2.3
LT FTRM1% 14.8
ST FTRM2% 0.0
LT FTRM2% -17.2
ST FTRM12% 0.0
ST FTRM22% 0.0
These were taken at idle and the check engine light was flashing.. I also did the test at 2k rpm and the check engine light stayed oiff. the results are as follows:ST FTRM1% 2.5
LT FTRM1% 1.6
ST FTRM2% -25
LT FTRM2% -2.3
ST FTRM12% 1.6
ST FTRM22% 0.8
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Ok Bank 2 is running rich and bank 1 is lean. If you swapped the injectors then this should rule them out. I would try swapping the cam sensors and clear all the codes to see if they travel. I would also recommend doing a compression test on this engine. I know you state it was at 190 which seems high. Lets check all the cylinders to make sure they are equal.