Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Gear box fault code is popping up but the car seems to run

Customer Question

Gear box fault code is popping up but the car seems to run fine. I am also having new issues with trying to start the car. It acts like it doesn't have power and after a handful of tries it just kicks over with no problem and starts
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Unknown, bought the car from an auction
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 02 x type
JA: What year is your Jaguar?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It just started today and I may if it is something simple. I have read some blogs and they are saying a low battery can cause some of this.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not off top of my head.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.
low battery voltage from a weak battery can cause this. Also an electrical fault with the shifter can also cause this. Next time the problem occurs see if the shifter is illuminating what gear you are in. Also check the battery and cable connections. We will also need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. Let me know.