Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  Jaguar and Land Rover Technician from 1987 to date. Jaguar and Land Rover independant repair shop.

Jaguar XJ8, year 1998. - The driver's seat does not hold

Customer Question

Jaguar XJ8, year 1998.
- The driver's seat does not hold memories
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi , my name is***** will try to assist you

does your seat still function other than not holding memory in all position or no ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Chad,
the electric positioning works perfectly, but the memories do not take the position (do not work) and, turning off the engine, the seat often go to "all behind" back position.

Hi sir , how are you today

has the memory seat fuses been checked , they will be behind driver driver rear seat fuse box ?

can you tell me if the steering wheel function is working , will steering moves in /out, up & down ?

can you tell me if you lock the car from driver side door using the key in door key lock cylinder and you unlock with the key will seat go all they way back ?

do you hear the chime sound when you tried to set the a memory postion by pressing the key and holding it ( is the chime sounds it does you can still hear ?

most common cause are the 5 potentiometer resistors located under the seat are bad

taking the seat out will be best I found to replace.but the is other things need checking

1- driver door module

2- poor connection to motors or potentiometers

3- wiring harness to the seat the seat

4- poor connection to body processor module

let me know please about my questions so i can help you further .

Thank You

Chad F

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Chad,
it is rather difficult for me to understand everything you write to me, because my knowledge of English is not so good. Please try to write to me in the simplest way possible.
I do not use the Jaguar official assistance because it is too expensive and, of course, would use new parts that have very high costs for this my old car. What I can tell you for now:
- The fuses have not been checked recently, but the seat positioning motor work well
- The steering wheel function is working, up/down and in/out
- The driver's door is opened and closed by remote control, but that of the front passenger (in Italy is the right) only works manually
- There is no sound when you press the seat memories (before there was)
For your other testing recommendations I should address my vehicle electrician
N.B. I seem to remember that the memories problems are began when my mechanic had worked on the passenger door. But I'm not sure.
Thank you

okay I will be try to be use simple english , that will be NO problem .be happy to do it

I will send you what You need to check :)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear Chad,
I apologize for the delay in responding to you, but I wanted to wait to return to Milan and to let my car be controlled by my car electrician. Everything that you asked me to check it is ok.
I do not know if this can be possible, but some time ago it had been indicated to me, as related to the memories of the seat, the fact that the front passenger's door does not open with the remote control.
Expert:  Doc. Jaguar replied 4 months ago.

More then likly, you have a faulty seat potentiometer in one or more of the seat motors. Most likly the forward and back motor. Its hard to test and expensive to repair.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not think so because for everything else the seat works well