sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

1995 xj6 won't start, power only goes to dash, battery, not

Customer Question

1995 xj6 won't start, power only goes to dash, battery, not to starter, but security system does not engage/disengage. mechanic bypassed wire vto starter, and the starter engaged, but car would not turn over. but he was able to get car to go into gear manually.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: i lost one working remote and the other is missing the batteries, but may be the secret to reset the security sustem
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: battery is less than one year old, charged and is fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: i'm fairly certai
n we just need to reset security sytem. is there a sequence to do without the remote? I've heard yo can on other cars.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If security was armed and not disarmed then that should be why the engine is not starting. It shoudl disarm if a door is unlocked manually with the key. Have you tried unlocking both front doors with the key?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the car doesn't make the chirping sound when the door is unlocked. That was my first flue after my mechanic said he could get the starter to work by bypassing the starter wire with his wire.

Both doors were tried?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm pretty sure that I first entered on the passenger side before going to the driver's side, and only one door Ata time would unlock and the rear doors wouldn't unlock

Did the key fob with the missing batteries work? If so then you're going to want to install batteries in it and then press the unlock button to disarm it.