Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

2004 XJ8 Van Der plas Loses power while I am driving, slows

Customer Question

2004 XJ8 Van Der plas
Loses power while I am driving, slows to a stop and I get a display message that says "PARK BREAK FAULT". I have to turn the ignition off and restart the car to get it moving again. Our Jaguar dealer has no idea what causes it. Sometimes I can drive it for weeks without the problem, other times, it happens over and over and over in a few days time.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Usually when the vehicle goes into limp mode and warning messages and indicators come on this is an indication of a fault with the electronic throttle. It can also be a failure on the vehicle high speed network. I see some issues with the electrical harness connections in early 2004 vehicles. With either issues fault codes should be stored so it is strange that the dealer cannot give you an idea of the problem. You can try using a generic OBD II scan tool available at your local parts store to see if they have a tool you can use. The fault codes will be a P followed by four digits. For example P0121. Let me know.