Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

2006 X Type VDP AWD.The coolant fan will not shut off, It's

Customer Question

2006 X Type VDP AWD.The coolant fan will not shut off, It's draining the battery.I remove the negative cable and they go the next day. With out put in the key i put the negative cable back on and the fans are on.I'm not leaking any coolant the thermostat is not showing its over heating
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi Troy, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description most likely the radiator cooling fan control module is at fault. The radiator cooling fan control module is located on the shroud with the cooling fans. The Engine Control Module (ECM) determines the cooling fan speed by receiving inputs from the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor and the dual automatic temperature control module (DATC). The ECM sends a modulated signal to the fan motor control module to operate the cooling fans at the required speed. The cooling fans are operated at slow speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 95°C (203°F) and are operated at full speed when the engine coolant temperature is at 105°C (221°F). A coolant temperature between these temperatures will cause the cooling fans to be operated at a speed which is proportional to the engine coolant temperature.Disconnect the ECT Sensor located on the front of engine on the coolant pipe down in the V of the engine, just to make sure it's not reporting a high temperature to the ECM. Also remove the #16 5 amp fuse in the power distribution box on the left side of the engine compartment. Let me know if disconnecting the ECT and or removing the #16 fuse changes the fans operation. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good day,sir. Well i did as you said ir changed nothing.when i toke them out it went to hot.but one at a time everything was the same.i put the negative cable on and the fans came on this with the ENGINE cold
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its. Not the cooling fan relay
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Removing the fuse and disconnecting the ECT was to make sure they weren't causing problems. The cooling fan motor control module is the problem.