Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as an Automotive tech
7276279

I have an 04 jaguar xtype 2.5 MT. My horn wasn't working

Customer Question

I have an 04 jaguar xtype 2.5 MT. My horn wasn't working along with one direction on my sunroof switch &cruise control was inop after checking fuses all fine. possibly a BCM/ECM issue since I do get occasional water in pass side footwell during rain &its a know issue, removed both module did a visual inspection& replaced, Tripped the inertia and sensor in the process no key in & reset.horn ended up being relay, now working. car started no throttle response let run &it turned off, won't start now
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse at the injector and proper fuel pressure. To know why it will not start you are going to need to check each one of these things and determine which one you are lacking and post back with the results. It would also be very useful if you could scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting. Post back with these results and we can work from there to determine the cause.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What is the best way to check injector pulse and fuel pressure ?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
Injector pulse can be checked with a standard 12 volt test light, place the test end on the power side of the injector and the ground end on the other wire at any one of the injectors and crank the engine over, if you have injector pulse, the light will flash. Too check fuel pressure you will need a scan tool that can read the data stream which will allow you to read the fuel pressure .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Found what looks to be a diode hanging loose above the interior fuse panel, I have a strong feeling this may be the culprit as I know if you pull the black fuse diode would replicate my symptoms
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I disconnected negative battery terminal for about 10 min, reconnected and tried again, this time it tried to crank but the security light started flashing rapidly, took key out tried again back to no crank
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
The security light flashing means the system is not reading the key, have you tried using your spark key?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No spare key so I want to be 100% positive that's the problem before having to tow it somewhere to have the transponder coded, it only did the rapid flagging and tried to crank the first time after reconnecting the battery after removing the key and reinserting the security light appears to operate in a normal fashion
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
In order to determine if its is actually a theft issue you would need to have the system scanned and see if there are any fault codes setting.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'm waiting for my friend to return my obd scanner will let you know if there are any codes, do you know where this diode goes? It's just hanging by its wire above the interior fuse box it must clip into somewhere
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
Okay, Im here if you need me. Unfortunately with out being there to see this diode and knowing what circuit I can not say for sure where it goes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Fairly certain it's connected to the F36 diode fuse in the engine bay It's the only diode I'm aware of in the vehicle
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
You may be right but I can not say for sure, normally diodes do not connect to the fuse in the fuse panel.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here are the schematics for the circuit I'm referring to, it's looks to me like a light sensing diode I'm not saying it's connected to the fuse box just its physical location is right above the interior fuse panel I'm sure it needs to be connected somewhere to to read some optical signal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also shown here
Expert:  Ronnie replied 8 months ago.
I see fuse but Im not seeing a diode.