Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Trying to figure out why the stability and traction control

Customer Question

trying to figure out why the stability and traction control and abs lights are on. its a 99 xj8 and I just swapped the engine and transmission out of the same year and model jaguar
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: none of the lights were on before the drivetrain swap that I knew of and everything went in perfectly and the car starts runs and drives like a dream nut I cant for some reason getr those lights to go off and I didn't touch anything to do with the brakes or the suspension. it was up on jack stands when we first started it two weeks ago after the swap and I thought that might be a problem causing the abs light but ive ben tryin g everything
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: trying to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: not really I tried to unhook as little as possible for the swap and didn't unhook or take apart anything in the stability and traction and abs system
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Usually when changing the engine and transmission the ABS system is really not disturbed. I would just check the connections to each sensor and the link harness as they come through the wheel arch. If the lights come on right away please check fuses #16 and #18 both 30 amp and fuse #4 (5 amp) in the engine box. There may be covers over them. We will need a Jag factory tool to read the faults to see what the possible causes are.