Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Jaguar XJ8: All locking and unlocking of doors, trunk lid,

Customer Question

All locking and unlocking of doors, trunk lid, and gas cover stopped working.
This includes trying from remotes, buttons in the car, trunk open button.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description either one of the 9 fuses don't have power at all times or the door lock relay has failed. The door lock relay is located in the heelboard fuse box left hand side. Relay #4 Violet Door Locks. Swap it out with a like relay (Door Mirrors #2 0r #5).

Door Lock Relay Location

Also verify these fuses have power at all times. (12v test light is prefered)
Left Heelboard Fuse Box (front of left rear seat bottom)
#2...5 amp
#5...15 amp
#13 ...25 amp
#15...25 amp
Right Heelboard Fuse Box (front of right rear seat bottom)
#2...15 amp
#13...25 amp
#15...25 amp
Trunk Fuse Box (right side of trunk)
#2...5 amp
#10...10 amp

If any of these fuses have no power at all times let me know.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Clayso, I checked all fuses today, and when waiting I took out relay, but didn't have multimeter so I will test it tomorrow. I didn't think about switching to test. What do you mean by fuses having power at all times? And 12v test light?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Btw, when asking a question I received a popup if I want to accept membership and get guaranteed answers in 30min. You may want to notify them it's not 30min. I know some questions require a lot of research so I don't know how they can even guarantee 30min
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I usually use multimeter for continuity check.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've learned it's super simple to switch a relay with a like one and see if both of the circuits act the same. Basically if the mirrors work after changing the relays you know the relay works.

Power at all time means there should be battery voltage whether the key is on or off. I prefer a 12 volt test light over a voltmeter all day long when it comes to looking for powers and grounds. The incandescent (bulb type) is my favorite. Too many times a voltmeter will show power until the circuit is operating then no power, kind of gets confusing when you're after a specific problem.

Continuity checks, depending on the circuit. I usually power the circuit and verify continuity through each wire with a sealed beam headlamp. One single strand of wire will show continuity, but will not support an electrical load. I'm all about verification in electrical.

I'm not sure about a 30 minute guarantee. I took me 45 minutes to verify my information before I sent it to you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it. Tomorrow I will check the relay I got out. If it's not the case I will ask you for help. Stay tuned!
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

That's cool, I'll be here on this same thread.

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I'm following up on any progress with this repair. I hope the information I gave was helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked everything and it's still not working. I didn't help. Also, there are no Violet relays. Maybe you were looking at the different model.Any other ideas?
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

I've got a 2000 XJ8, sometimes my information will jumble the left hand drives with the right.

I have a complete circuit diagram if you can follow diagrams I'll sent it to you.

Let me know

Thanks

Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

The link below is the complete door locks circuit.

Door Locks Circuit

Verify battery voltage at #10 and #6 on the Door Locking Relay. I always go by the terminal numbers versus wire colors.

Hope this helps, let me know.
Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me get back to you.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

That's cool. I'm online close to 16 hours in a 24 hour time period.

Let me know what you find at the relay.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked all your recommendations, everything looks ok, but it's still not working.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.

Since all of the fuses and the relay are good have all of the vehicles modules checked for codes. Most all problems in the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE), Security And Locking Control Module (SLCM), individual door lock modules and the body control module will set diagnostic trouble codes. Simple code readers won't communicate with all of the modules in this vehicle. Have all of the modules checked with a dealer level scan tool and let me know what codes are stored. I was hoping this would be something simple, like a fuse or a relay.

Let me know
Thanks