Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

XK passenger window is impeded by the window seal. Seems it's

Customer Question

XK passenger window is impeded by the window seal. Seems it's not on track, and so the rubber window seal blocks the window from going all the way up. Then the window goes back down. Obviously it is an auto response to the blockage the seal is creating. The thing is, I can sometimes get the window to go all the way up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: A month later the convertible top will not go down. My mechanic is saying if I replace the window seal and permit the window to operate properly, the convert top should begin working properly again. Q: are these two items logically connected to one another?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
What year is your XK? Do the quarter windows work at all? Any top warnings when you try to lower it like a convertible top not latched?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2007 Top unlatches and stops 2" away from the latch. Basically it barely opens 2". That's it. Then I'm able to close it with the button. Windows do go down. Quarter Windows too. Thing is, aside from trying to operate the top, the P window is impeded when trying to close the window. Eventually you can play with it and get the window closed. Seems to me that the impeding has zero to do with the top issue. My mechanic says the window needs a new rubber seal installed $300 and this should permit the top to go all the way down. He says the car has a computer telling it the window is impeded and not to permit top operation. I say that's BS. When pressing the top -down button, all windows go down and this is all the computer would know. It would not say "let's don't let the top down because the rubber seal isn't properly seated around the P window".
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Forgot to say. I get the earning Top Not Latched. Even while its latched.Also I tried a reset by holding window buttons til it clicks and then trying to hold top Open button for two minutes. Still only goes 2" and stops. Then i was able to close it again
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
"Warning". Not earning. That's a typo
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Ok we may have a problem with one of the micro switches on the top. As long as the front windows are reset meaning the auto up is working properly thats all the module needs to know. If the auto down and up do not work reset the windows by raising them and then holding the siwtches up which it sounds like you already did. We can try lowering the top manually then raising it with the switch as this usually resets it. This is not that difficult and the procedure is in your owner's handbook. If you do not have you handbook then here's how to do it. First pop off the middle rear seat back cover by pulling the top out then sliding it up. You will see an allen wrench clipped on top of the fuse box. Then go in the trunk and remove the vent on the passenger side rear. You will see the convertible top pump enclosed in a gray insulation. There will be a hole in it where you need to insert the allen wrench and turn counter clockwise till you feel resistance. Then go inside and look at the front of the top in the center you will see a cover. With a small flat blade screwdriver pop the front of that cover down and slide it out. Insert the allen in the hole and again turn counter clockwise till you feel resistance. You will notice that the top is starting to open. You will need an assistant to do the next step. Go outside the vehicle and grab the from and back of the top and fold them together then have an assistant pull the release handle that is located next to that pump. Just pull the handle and the tonneu cover will come up. Hold the cover up and fold the top down into the well. Allow the cover to drop down. Then start he engine and press the top up switch and it should work.