Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

Jaguar Xj6: I have a 1994 XJ6 that has been in the shop now

Customer Question

I have a 1994 XJ6 that has been in the shop now for over a week. The problem is it dies while driving down the road, or loses power, once you limp off the road, then it dies, after 6-7 minutes it will restart but only go about 6 miles before it repeats, fuel pump and filter have been replaced, all error codes are old and don't pertain the situation, it's not the fuel pump rela, mechanic are perplexed
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
After the engine stalls does it then crank but not start? Does this usually happen once the engine is warmed up or after driving for a while?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens both ways, yes trying to restart is like its flooded and the gas fumes fill the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil light has been coming on after starting it up but usually turns off within a minute or so
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
OK this can be caused by a few different faults. We first need to see if we have spark present. We may have a failing ignition coil or amplifier if no spark is present. It also can be a bad EMS relay or possibly the crank sensor as I have seen both cause these type of issues. If you experience this issue more after wet weather or washing the vehicle we may have water getting into the ECM located under the passenger side dash. We really need to see if we have fuel and spark when the engine is cranking but not starting. The oil light is most likely not related. That could be the oil pressure switch. We should confirm the oil is full and clean. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil is clean and full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic said he will have to drive it tomorrow before it dies, then check the spark and he will let me know........Will you be available tomorrow?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Just reply back to this page.