Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar: I have a 2000 XK8 convertible. Since it is not driven

Customer Question

I have a 2000 XK8 convertible. Since it is not driven much, it needs a battery charge each time I take it out. The last time, when the key was turned on, the displayed said the top was unlatched and the rear windows went down. The top up/down switches do not have any response. The latch is mechanically closed. Thoughts?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
So right now the quarter windows are stuck down and will not raise with the top switch? Try unlocking the vehicle using the key in the driver door and hold it to the unlock to see if the windows and top lower. Make sure the battery is fully charged when doing this. Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did try this and got no response. But I'll give it a try again. Right now the battery is being charged so we'll have to wait until tomorrow morning. I also tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after a time, but with no change. I checked the fuses that appeared to have anything to do the top motors, but again found nothing.So to recap. panel states that the top is unlatched, rear widows went down and stayed down, no response from either console switches or using the key. I have not yet tried to mechanically unlock the latch to see if that makes any difference. Will try that and the key first thing in the morning after the battery has charged.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good Morning Richard,First off, I misremember (it's been over a month now) about no response from the top up/down switch. When pressed, you can hear relay clicks, but no other response. Using the key to try to lower the top results in the front windows lowering but no action from the top.
I also mechanically unlatched the top and tried to lower the top. You can hear relay(s?) click, but again no top movement. I have verified, visually and electrically, that the 40 A fuse is OK.
Do you have anymore ideas before I take it the dealer?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
With the top closed and that front latch all the way down do you still have a top not latched warning?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Richard,
Yes, with the latch closed using the large 'Allen' wrench supplied for that purpose, the warning is still there. This all started when after charging the battery, When to key was inserted and turned, the warning panel showed that the top was unlatched and the rear windows went down.
I do have the wiring diagram and it could be a defective 'Top Closed Switch" or a defective 'Body Processor Module', neither of which I care to get into that deep. Hence, the Dealer.