Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Jaguar XJ8: 2001 jag xj8...just recently started hearing clicking

Customer Question

2001 jag xj8...just recently started hearing clicking sounds under passenger side under dash when I turn the key to the on position. 1 week later, clicking stopped and car will turn over (sound different when cranking) but will not start
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
So right now the engine is cranking but not starting and the cranking speed seems abnormal? Has the vehicle been sitting for a while?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No the vehicle was not sitting for any length of time other than one night I drove it everyday
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Based on your expertise please let's not banter back and forth with emails if you have ideas what it could be please email those to me as soon as possible I'm sure that I am not the only one that has ever experienced these symptoms with the car Jaguars are unique but they are consistently Universal in their patterns
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
OK these may or may not be related. The clicking is.most likely a problem with the body processor module. This module actually controls the starter so if it is cranking I do not think that it is causing the current problem. First make sure the battery is fully charged as low voltage can be the cause. Next look at the security led on the shifter is not illuminated. If it is not then see if the shifter will release from.park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake. If it will see if the engine will start in neutral. I have a feeling it may be a fueling issue. Spray some carb cleaner into the air intake tube while an assistant cranks the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray indicating a fuel delivery problem. Let me know.