rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have an 02 Jaguar X type that has been sitting

Customer Question

I have an 02 Jaguar X type that has been sitting for about a year and will not start. It starts to fire with starter fluid but will not keep running.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have an 02 Jaguar that cranks but will not start. It's been sitting for about a year and will start on starter fluid. But will not stay running
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just a little starter fluid into the intake
JA: Is there anything else the Jaguar Mechanic should be aware of about your Jaguar?
Customer: No it was running fine just does not get a lot of use
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. It appears that either you have bad gas now or the fuel ump has quit on you. Check the fuel pressure first with a gauge, and also take a fuel sample and see if it ignites.Thanks, Ron