Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Driving at speed and the engine quits, no power to dash, only

Customer Question

driving at speed and the engine quits, no power to dash, only electric are lights and power door locks...trunk wont open. already replaced the ignition switch, still no power when I turn the key.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses, replaced the ignition switch, checked battery and connections
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: not even turn over
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: ??? over two years. plenty of power to the lights
JA: Anything else I can tell the Jaguar Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't have the manual so not sure which relay is connected to the ignition system
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
What year and model is your Jag? Right now is the vehicle still in a faulted state?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2004 x-type 2.5 manual. Still nothing when I turn the key, not even a dash light or the radio. Some lights door locks and headlights work.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Ok first look near the battery for a two wire black connector. This should not be plugged into any component and should sit onto a spot on the battery tray. If these wires are damaged then this problem can occur. If all is ok then locate the inertia switch to make sure it has not tripped. It is located behind the passenger side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top of it to reset it. If it is not tripped then with a digital multimeter set to dc volts check for voltage on pin 1 green/orange and pin 3 green/blue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried the button, felt like it did click or reset but still no power when I turn the key. Not sure where the pins are you want me to check the voltage
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
It is the connector on the inertia switch. Pop off the panel and with the ignition on and switch still plugged in check for voltage.