rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Jaguar Vanden Plas: I have a 1999 XJ8 Vanden Plas Jaguar. I

Customer Question

I have a 1999 XJ8 Vanden Plas Jaguar. I bought it last June and within just a few weeks while coming to a stop the Restricted Performence light came on and it was running really rough. It would take turns with that warning light and Check Engine light. The mechanic changed out coils my husband said. That was last September or so. Now 6 months later it's back on. Plus when I'm pulling out of the garage I smell strong gasoline. What going up? Help!! Thank you
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.First thing to do is check the codes and data with a scan tool. This is the starting point because you may not have the same problem as before even though the symptoms are the same.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry Ron but your answer is not sufficient. Like you said, you don't know my skill level so if I have no understanding of what's going on with my car, I would not only have not asked you I certainly wouldn't know what checking your codes and data with a scan tool meant.
I went and read other people's answers to understand what you said. I don't think I should pay for your answer it was not complete. So no I can't give you a favorable or positive rating. I'm sorry.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Okay, that's fair, but it doesn't mean that my answer is bad, it only means that I need information from you that you can't give me. Please let me know what else I can do for you.Thanks, Ron