Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

Looking at some threads on Jaguar SmartKeys not being recognize

Customer Question

Looking at some threads on Jaguar SmartKeys not being recognize to start car. Jag shop is struggling to figure it out, can't seem to sync up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car had been sitting for about 2 weeks, low battery, had to jump (somewhat typical during the winter, not driven much). Tried to start, wouldn't quite turnover, and after that it said "smartkey not found", then I tried to dock, and got the "check smartkey". Had to have it flatbedded to dealer. Figured dead battery, but seems now they are onto 1) new battery, 2) two new keys 3) Central Control module.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
What year and model Jag? Did they tell you that all this will need to be replaced or they have to start with the battery and then you may need the keys and CJB?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Richard, it is 2007 XK (convertible), 89k miles. Bought used about 34 months ago, avg about 5k miles annually (also have XF S/C). Car has always run down battery if not driven for 10 days/2 weeks, no issue jumping it. New battery put in by local Jag dealer November 2014. Car had not been started fro about 10 days, went to do normal jump start, 1st time it cranked it, not quite enough juice, so let it sit. Next time I got the "red" SmartKey not found message, so I inserted the key in slot. Tried to start, and got the "white" check SmartKey from then on. Had car flatbedd'ed to dealer (I did replace the batter in SmartKey). First call I got was 1) dead battery 2) need for new key 3) new ignition switch, all in about $877. Once that was all done, there we still getting "hard codes", so was told last Thursday needed a new Central Control Module ($1,400). Got call today they still couldn't figure it out, and may need to get a second new SmartKey (?). Believe Jag engineer is in the area and they are pulling him in. It is quite the mystery and the meter is running! You have helped me before so thought I would run it by you.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
It will be hard to say without knowing if all modules are communicating and what errors are being seen when attempting to program the keys. Alot of times when the keyless vehicle module or CJB are replaced new keys are needed. I think that is the direction they may need to go.