Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Jaguar guys Question '03 S tipe V6 3.0L I replaced both

Customer Question

Hi Jaguar guys
Question '03 S tipe V6 3.0L
I replaced both valve cover gasket because I found a pool of oil at the spark plugs chamber I install it new valve cover gasket few days later both Chambers and both cylinder heads we're already full of oil I need help to figure out where the oil is coming from I got some pictures so you can see because I have a doubt about this little hole that is traded right next to a spark plug number 6 I have a picture of it and also I have a picture of a spark plug number 4 which has a plug next to it where that little hole is next to number 4 do I have to have the little plug on the little hole next to number 6 spark plug appreciate your help guys thanks a lot
I already installed it Opposite valve cover gaskets are really close I don't want to take it back out to see if I have the same hole in other bank
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you replaced the valve cover gasket did you also replace the small square gasket that goes around spark plug chamber?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Rectangle gasket, not square. Sorry about that.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Here is a picture so you can see the rectangle gasket I'm referring to. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb71jnbul3sczwz/s-l500.jpg?dl=0

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
bud I replaced both outer and inner gaskets the first time because both spark plugs chambers were full of oil I mean each was a pool of oil it damaged to coils now how could so much oil went in
now did you see picture of spark plug # ***** what is that treaded small hole next to it is it something supposed be there is it a oil plug do you know ?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I did see the picture and see the hole. If problem just started out of no where then I doubt the hole is the problem. I'd personally put silicone in the hole to see if that helps if not replace the valve cover gaskets again. If problem still exists then use a straight edge to check valve cover for being warped. I'll also open question back up to see if someone else can give you a definite answer on the hole. I just wanted to make sure the small gasket was replaced. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks a lot Dan