Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I'm looking at a 2001 XK8 convertible; it has 36k miles.

Customer Question

I'm looking at a 2001 XK8 convertible; it has 36k miles. Please tell me what concerns I should have. Issues I know to ask about are the replacement of the plastic tensioners and water pump; but beyond that I don't know. tell me what you can.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using
Overall the XK is a reliable vehicle and with the low miles there really should not be too much to worry about. The tensioners are a problem which should be addressed to prevent future problems or damage. I also see some electrical problems on these but they are usually random. Some high failure issues are with the electronic throttle and ABS module. Also suspension bushings can be a problem as they can dry rot due to age. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

what do you think the replacement cost for the tensioners, water pump and bushings would be?

and.....what would do on the other ( electrical ) ........wait until the problem occured

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

The last chain/tensioner job I did was about $3000 parts and labor. The cost will vary depending on the shops but figure $2800-$3200 range. The suspension bushings will depend on which ones as the price is different for the upper and lower arms.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dang......gets pricey quick. And that doesn't include water pump replacement????
Thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
it included the water pump.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

last question for you...........

what's your opinion is this car? ( a 2001 convertible? )....

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

I actually like these vehicles and have owned two a 1999 convertible and a 2002 convertible.