Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

Brake fluid cap" blew" off and i wasnt aware of it until Car

Customer Question

Hi, brake fluid cap " blew" off and i wasnt aware of it until Car started to act on me ( limp mode). Thats when i openned the hood and noticed it.Replaced the cap, didn't see leaks or fluid being too low.But I read that an open lid brake fluid reservoir could damage the fluid.No lights comes up,,no emergency engine check, just limp mode after a couple of hours.Im in Costa Rica and these days temperatures climbed into the mid 30's Celsius.Brakes are taking a beating from the heat.Should I bleed the brake fluid and replace it? What caused the lid to blow?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Car is a 2006 X type with only 54000 km.Will run fine for a few hours and then go suddenly into limp mode.If left to cool, for say 3 hours, performance is again optimum
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 7 months ago.

Hello , so your saying the transmission goes to limp mode & will not shift ? ThanksJoey

Hello are you there ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well now I am
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
RPM goes up all the way, no warning lights on the panel, car will not accelerate. I believe front brakes are busted, they overheat and the car's sensors send the car into limp mode.Once the brakes have cooled, car goes back to peak performance.Im at the mechanic's replacing the brake pads.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cleaned the injectors last December and I can tell the difference between faulty injectors and this new problem.

ok, but doe it just stay in 1 gear when it goes to limp ?