Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.

I have a 2000 xk8 16,000 miles mint condition..... Wometimes

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2000 xk8 16,000 miles mint condition..... Wometimes when i turn the key to start i get a series og messsages on the dash ending with shift gear disabled .
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Actually it says gear box Fault. It will not turnover. wait for a day make sure battery is fully charged , it works and starts. it did this yesterday morning I put the charger on came back home from work and turned the the key to start all systems turned on and the car did not turn over.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Jaguar Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can ... Jaguar dealer has no clue.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: yes sometimes I open the fuse box and remove and reinsert fuses .. it hen sometimes works immediately........ did that today car did not turn over.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: ps i have a six month old battery.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.
When the vehicle does not start it does not even crank correct? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The car does NOT turn over and yes the shifter does release from Park into drive etc with my foot in the brake.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have figured out the problem and have temporarily fixed it. Tomorrow with more time estimate of one half hour I will be able to fix it easily.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Ok keep me posted and let me know if you need anything else.