Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2007 jaguar xj8 4.2 liter ratle noise when starts 4 seconds,

Customer Question

2007 jaguar xj8 4.2 literratle noise when starts for about 4 seconds, only when cold or after sitting for an hour after oil drains back ????????????
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like the noise may be coming from the variable valve timing units. First make sure the oil is clean and full. Then before starting the engine go under the hood and put your hands on both of the VVT solenoids. Have an assistant start the engine and see if you can see which one is noisy. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
VVT CAN MAKE A NOISE LIKE A TIMING CHAIN RATTLE??? WAO ILL CHECK AS SOON AS IT COOLS I JUST RAN THE ENGINETHANKS
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i started the car this morning and the noise is heard on both vvt very lous, sounds like the oil drains back to the oilpan and starts dry... new oil twice 5w30, jaguar oil filter, new tensioners on timing chain!!!!!!!!!help!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
are you working today???
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in the absence of answer i changed both vvt and the noise is the same, now i am really in deep s...!!! i drove the car and park it for 1.5 and restated and same noise no change...
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

The noise is the actual vvt which is the intake cam. The noise travels up through the solenoids. The actual vvt will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where can i buy those vvt actuators at a good price???
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where can i buy this ???
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately you can only get it from Jag. Here are some sources I use for discounted parts. Coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, welshent.com, and motorcarsltd.com.