Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

My names is ***** ***** well i have an xjr 1999, yes sorry,

Customer Question

hello my names is ***** ***** well i have an xjr 1999
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes sorry
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a Jag XJR 1999 up until yesterday the car was working fine - I drove to work noticing it was puffing out steam out of both exhausts -got to work and realised it had lost 2 litres of coolant -and now supercharger is making knocking noises and car is in restricted performance mode now - runs like a pig now -
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have you got my question
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Sounds like we may have a leaking head gaskets or possibly intercooler. We first need to pressure test the system then perform a combustion leak test which will detect exhaust gases in the cooling system. Another test that should be performed is a compression and leak down test to see if in fact it is low and leaking in the cooling system. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have pressure tested the system on the pips on the cooling system
they are soft and when you start the car up they stay soft and take time to get hard
so don't sound like gaskets to me and for two to go at the same time ?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

What kind of tester did you use. We use the one that gobs onto the expansion tank to pressurize the complete system. Also are we sure that it is coolant coming out of the exhaust?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its coolant not oil its burning as the coolant tank is going down all the time but no leak
funny thing is now the supercharger is making no nose at all ,car is off restricted performance mode now
and is running well But still burning water and steam out the back
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

OK the coolant is either getting into the engine from the head gaskets or cylinder head or the intercooler as coolant runs through them. We should see the loss with a pressure tester. If we do then a cylinder leak down test needs to be performed. If there is a leak down then it is in the engine. If no leak down is present then I suspect the intercooler. Any recent work done to the vehicle.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sorry where is the intercooler as i have heard of it ,but don't how it works or where it is can you help thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
as for work on the car no its been a good one
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

On both sides of the supercharger are the intercooler. There are two so the likely hood of both being bad is slim. They have coolant hoses going to them to keep the air cool.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok thank you going to have a look again
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Let me know how you make out.