Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Engine warning light flashing...bad ignition coil? car

Customer Question

engine warning light flashing...bad ignition coil? car shuttering and seems to maybe have a transmission gearbox issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jaguar. The Jaguar Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 150k miles....replaced two coils five months ago, one failed two days later, now repair shop was pushing to sell me on idea of replacing all remaining coils , saying that one was about to fail...said there was a TSB, then reversed and said the TSB was pending...could not get a straight answer. shop reluctantly replaced the defective coil but was really pushing to increase the bill...after the replacement engine warning light would occasional come on but when starting cold but went off within a minute... now engine light comes on ,flashing , car has no pick up and shutters, eventually get to highway speed , but not smooth running
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no way
JA: OK! The Jaguar Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Jaguar Mechanic should know about your Jaguar?
Customer: no other problems, no overheating, no starting issues, occasion kick when transitioning from hwy speed to off ramp street speed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jaguar Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

What year and model is your vehicle?