Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I've got an XJ8 2000 reg which makes a loud whirring sound

Customer Question

Hi there - I've got an XJ8 2000 reg which makes a loud whirring sound from the front left (passenger side) of the bonnet. Possibly near the wheel arch but unsure. Only happens when pulling away and only seems to last for 1st and 2nd gear. Reminds me of the sound you used to get if you jammed an empty Coke can on the back wheel fork of you bike as a kid...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Definitely much more prominent when cold/wet from what I can tell. Any ideas what it is and how serious it could be?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
FYI - Recently had a reconditioned gearbox installed and it changes gear very smoothly so doesn't feel like a transmission issue...
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Noises can be difficult to diagnose in this type of forum but we will try. Do you hear the noise in park or neutral? Do you hear the noise if you lightly power brake the vehicle in drive?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Richard,
Understand this might be a tricky one - I can upload a recording if that would help? I'll record it at the weekend and let you hear for yourself.To answer your questions:
- No noise in Park or Neutral, only when pulling away
- Assume by Power Break you mean Handbreak (sorry, I'm in the UK) but I haven't tried this. I'll test at the weekend and let you know.Speak again soon,Chris
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Yes recording may help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Richard, sorry haven't got back to you - I've been ill unfortunately.
Will get you that recording shortly so you can hear exactly what it sounds like.
Speak soon,
Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard,Right - recording can be viewed/downloaded at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eswptorhtv4ycfu/Video%2***-**-****%2C%2017%2009%2024.mov?dl=0You'll need to turn the volume up to hear it properly.This tends to be louder first thing on a cold/wet morning than later in the day after a journey or two.
But it's unpredictable. This recording was actually the first drive of the day, although it was late in the afternoon and not particularly cold/wet. This is much more quiet than usual.
It's only on pulling away - in fact the noise stops by the time the recording hits 5 seconds.Does this help you at all?Speak soon,Chris
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Richard,
Has the recording helped at all?
Speak soon,
Chris