Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

1997 Jaguar XJ6 When the car is cold, all is fine. But after

Customer Question

1997 Jaguar XJ6
When the car is cold, all is fine. But after 15-20 minutes of driving, the instrument cluster will cycle on and off. I have swapped out clusters ECM & checked grounds. Any ideas?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

When you mean cluster will cycle on and off you mean the gauges and lights? Do you feel any issues driving like an engine misfire?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the gauges and lights will cycle on & off. There is no engine miss and all of the ignition coils are 1 (one) year old. I have also disconnected the alternator dump switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the gauges and lights will cycle on & off. There is no engine miss and all of the ignition coils are 1 (one) year old. I have also disconnected the alternator dump switch. Do you need any more information?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dash problem was because the ignition coil was spiking but had no engine miss. So my question has been answered.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Yes figured it was a coil. Usually you feel a missfire just before this happens. Thanks.