Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2004 xj8 the abs and traction control light is on

Customer Question

I have a 2004 xj8 the abs and traction control light is on and the shifter will not come out of park
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

First we should check the battery to make sure the cable connections are clean and secure. Next we should charge the battery as low voltage can be the cause. Also check the inertia switch to make sure it has not tripped. To reset it just depress the top of it. It is located in the driver side lower kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to press it. If it still will not start disconnect just the negative battery terminal cable for about half hour. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all that is good and the car starts wright up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

OK then we most likely have a problem on the vehicle network. On early XJ vehicles there were issues with the electrical connector pins. First see if the P is illuminated on the shifter. We then will need to have the vehicle scanned for the stored fault codes. If you send me the last six of your VIN I can see if the repair procedure applies. Also if you have a digital multimeter we can test the circuit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
last six G33085
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
P is illuminated
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
information center says has a emergency fault code
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

OK go to the ABS module located in the passenger front engine compartment. Check the connector to make sure it is clean and secure. Next we need to check fuses and the fault codes with a scan tool. The shifter itself could be the problem.