Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I wonder if you could shed some light on a problem (i am a

Customer Question

hello - i wonder if you could shed some light on a problem for me (i am a non-technical owner of a 1998 Jag XJ8).
i was getting a "battery not charging" message on the dash and the shop advised i get a new battery. ok, makes sense. after two hours working on the car they report to me that the Fuel Pump is not working and requires replacement ($700).
my question is whether it is reasonable that a fuel pump would quit just while they were installing a new battery when i had no problems or symptoms before bringing it into the shop. is there something they might have done to cause the Fuel Pump failure?
any info appreciated.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

That is strange as replacing the battery should not effect the fuel pump. I have seen these pumps fail with no warning so it is a possibility. I think they should re check the fuse and relay for it before replacing it. Also we need to make sure that is the reason why it is not starting.