Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2004 Jaguar XJ8, 153K miles1. With the engine fully warmed,

Customer Question

2004 Jaguar XJ8, 153K miles1. With the engine fully warmed, I shut it down for 10-40 minutes. On re-start, it coughs, sputters and runs rough. After 1-2 minutes it runs great.2. I tried to change my spark plugs today. The coil packs near the the strut towers will not clear the strut tower. I can't angle them up enough to remove them - do I have bad engine mounts?3. Mirror heater tests OK with ohmmeter. w/ Defrost ON, connector has 12V. But, no heat when mirror is connected up. Strange!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I guess there is one more question. Is there any way to adjust/tune the air dampers for a firmer ride? Its a little on the soft side for me. Thanks!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

the coils should pull out past the strut mount?

you have to bend the rubber tube a bit but this is perfectly fine

and with this level of mileage I'd agree to replace the spark plugs and its also possible you may have 1 or 2 coils that are faulty?

best way to identify this is with a scan tool that can monitor the engine values and show which cylinder is misfiring

regarding the mirror heater these don't get really hot enough to feel by hand but its just enough to remove the condense

are they clearing OK in cold weather?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Matt, the coil pack does not appear to be rubber, but a hard plastic. When I slide it out, it hits the strut tower despite trying to bend it up past the strut tower. Its almost like it need to jack the whole engine upwards just to change the plugs but that can't be right! There were no fault codes when I scanned it.
The driver's mirror get warm and it defrosts fine. The passenger mirror is not able to defrost at all due to the problem I described.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

it is tight normally so it does sound like your engine mounts may have sagged a little

they are an 'active' mount and are filled with an oil to help with damping noise

so check over the mount for signs of black oily fluid leaking out as they may need replacing

the easiest way to find a leak is to remove the retaining bolt from underneath. The bolt will be wet with fluid if it is leaking