Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I recently purchased a 2004 XKR. It was purchased by the

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2004 XKR. It was purchased by the dealer at an auction. The security system has armed, for a third time. Last time I had to be towed and it reset after towing. I only have one key which is the green key
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

So right now the engine will not crank? Does it power up normally with the ignition ON and foot on the brake?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The security system in the key and the ignition system keeps locking up
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

What do you mean by the ignition system keeps locking up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The jag has asecutity system that is activated by the transponder in the key. If the car ignition doesn't recognize the transponder in the key, the security system activates. You are supposed to be able,according to the manual, to disengage the security system by inserting the key and turning to "position II" or using the FOB. But, my car inadvertently activates the system then arbitrarily, so it seems, disengages it. It disengaged after two hours today after the tow truck arrived but before it was towed. My sister read online that it might be a battery problem. The Jaguar customer service had no idea.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes we first need to check the battery and cable connections. There are two parts for the security as there is the perimeter locking part and the ignition. We could have a problem with the key itself or the reader coil which is the part that goes around the ignition cylinder that reads the key. start the vehicle and lower the driver window. Lock the vehicle with the remote. Then reach in through the open window and open the driver door. The alarm should sound. Then if you place the key into the ignition and turn it on the alarm should stop. If not then unlock the door using the key in the door lock cylinder to disarm it. If it does not disarm the alarm in the ignition then the key or reader coil is the most likely problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I try that, will that activate my security system again locking me out if the ignition coil is bad? If so, I presume I need to conduct this experiment at a repair facility. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

As long as you can unlock the vehicle using the key in the driver door this will also disarm the security.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It hasn't the last three times this happened. EVERYTHING shuts down. You can't even lock the door with the key, but I did learn yesterday that you can manually unlock the trunk by inserting the key in the cleverly disguised key hole, but even that didn't disengage it. It seems to disengage arbitrarily. No common denominator.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok then it can also be the security locking module located in the trunk under the trunk fuse box. Unfortunately without the Jag tool it will be difficult to diagnose.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hmmm. You have given me some good possibilities. I will take these to my repair shop to see if he can test these theories. If not, it's an hour drive to the nearest Jaguar dealership. But you have been very helpful. Thank you. By the way, where is the fuse box in the trunk? Is it by the CD and ab system or under the spare tire?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

In the trunk near the battery under the cover.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My question was a tough one that could not be answered quickly, but Richard did not stop until he gave me some pints to ponder. I wish I could afford to keep the service, but life has struck me some I expected blows or I would have these guys on speed dial. I just can't afford to keep them.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else from me. The question is still open on my end until you give a positive rating.