Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2005 type s has a vibration between 45 to50 feels like a

Customer Question

2005 type s has a vibration between 45 to50 feels like a drivetrain issue
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Do you feel the vibration more in the seat or steering wheel? Does it go away above and below that speed range? Did it start after the tires were replaced or did it change after the tires were replaced? Any other recent work done to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for responding. The vibration is definitely felt in the seat. It is most obviously felt between 45 and 60 and not felt on either side of those speeds. We replaced 2 of the tires which alleviated the weird noise.we took it to the dealership, and they said there was a slightly bent wheel so they put it up front however it made little or no difference in the vibration. It didn't alleviate the vibration in the seat but it did seem a little better. the catr has not had an alignment yet either but I don't think that would affect the vibration I'm feeling, maybe I'm wrong though. Jag dealer says he thinks that the drive shaft may be out of balance and to check that. he doesn't have anybody to do that in house and doesn't know of anybody in the area. He recommends getting someone to check balance before replacement.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes I was going to recommend the driveshaft balance but before that make sure the tires have been properly road forced balanced. This is different than the standard high speed balance. If they were road forced then the shop should be able to give you the road force value which is a number where the higher number indicates there may be the cause for the vibration. These shafts are balanced on the vehicle using weighted nuts installed on the rear shaft flange. Special equipment and a Jag factory tool is needed to do this. Let me know.