Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have issue with my Jaguar X-type 2002 3.0 automatic, can't

Customer Question

Hi, I`m Martins. I have issue with my Jaguar X-type 2002 3.0 automatic, can`t find any information on my strange sound from engine. here the link i uploaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZ9OIVpKZc
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Most often it appears when car is cold, but not always, sometimes it continues even when warm, and when accelerate it goes louder.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Sounds like it may be one of the idler pulleys on the engine. I recommend we remove the belt and spin all of them to see if any make noise or are rough to spin. We can also start the engine without the belt to see if the noise is still there. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i have changed belt yesterday and the pulleys too. noise still there. sound is coming from that grey metalic end/corner.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Did you replace all the idlers? Does the noise go away if you run the engine with no belt?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
dont know if it disapears without belt, but changed all, mechanical thinks its hydraulic pump, but sound comes from head. what is shown in my video.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes it does sound like it is from that area. Obviously that is not a factory setup but I think we should remove the belt and make sure the noise is still there.