Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

I have a 2002 jaguar x type that does not start, it cranks

Customer Question

I have a 2002 jaguar x type that does not start, it cranks up but does not start, we just got home normal and when we wanted to start the car back it never did, I checked ally he fuses and they are fine, what I have noticed is that there is no noise coming from the gas pump when you want to start it
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

the fuel pump relay is in the under-hood fusebox ( see image)

and if thats OK then check the if the ECM has got power as this powers up the fuel pump

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is the fuse box I found, is there another one under it? I can't find the relay
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

that matchs the 1st image

check the EMS relay and the TCM relay as the next step as the 2nd image I have is the alternative

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The relays were tested and are good
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

OK if they're OK have you tried running a wire directly from the battery to the pump?

as if it then sparks into life you know the pump is OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got a code reader and I got code p1797
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
P1603, p0223, p0222, p0123 and p0121
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
By any chance do you know if the tps Is damaged could it prevent the fuel pump from working?
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Ok to get that variety of codes I'd say that there may be a lack of battery voltage or a poor earth connection

so I'd 1st measure across the battery terminals as voltage should be at least 12.5V and then with a runnnign engine rise to about 13.5V

and also check the main battery connections at both ends for cleanliness and tightness

also running out of the loom there should be a couple of small wires that use ring terminals and small bolts to secure to the engine

these are the dedicated ECU earth wires and also need to be clean and tight

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you