Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I was changing a stereo and I had to put the gear on drive

Customer Question

I was changing a stereo and I had to put the gear on drive and when I put it back on park now is lock and the car won't start
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Does the climate control paenl turn on when you turn the ignition ON? DOes the P illuminate on the shifter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the p illumiate
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The p dont illuminate
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wont start wont crank is choing gearbox fault the lights and the whienshil wipers work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I check the fuses they look alright put a new battery
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake? Does the climate control panel turn on with the ignition on? Also please check to make sure the inertia switch did not trip. To reset it just depress the top of it to reset it. It is located behind the passenger front kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to reset it. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the panel lights don't go on just the check the engine lights brakes light oil lights the shifter don't releas from park whit the foot on brakE
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Will the climate panel turn on and does it work like the blower speed and air flow direction. Also please check that inertia switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I press the inertia switch an nothing and what you mean like the blower and the speed air flow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When i was changing the stereo i needed to put the shifter on the drive gear with the key on the on position and i put the emergynsi brakes but all the lights from the panel they were on an my battery wasit that good i turn the key to backworts to see if the lights from the panel torn off i think that was my mistake and i put the shifter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On parking and the car dint want to start animore i think the car thinks is in drive gear
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont have the emergincy brakes no more and it shows in the panel like i do i think the
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for about an hour. In that time lets charge the battery in case it is a low voltage condition. Let me know

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you but i already took it to the agency
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

OK keep me posted and let me know if you need anything else.