Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 2003 Jag Xtype 2.5. red light came on after

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****! I have a 2003 Jag Xtype 2.5. red light came on after starting Gearbox...I turn off the car and restarted no red light. This is the second time this has happened. Car run with well otherwise.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: a red light showed up on the dashboard in the center of board the reading was Gearbox Fault, the brake light was on although the hand brake was released.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jaguar Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Does this always happen after first staring when the engine is cold? Any issues while driving?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has only happen twice. About a week ago was the first in which when detected pulled into a gas station, turn the engine off and restarted with no red light or notice. Second time was last night in a parking lot same results Otherwise, the car runs well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relative to the first part of your question, the answer is once yes, last night no.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Ok this can be caused by a few things. If you notice this after some rain then water may be getting into the TCM. It also could be an electrical fault inside the transmission or even a battery problem. I would start by checking the battery and all cable connections to make sure they are clean and secure. Then have the battery tested by your local parts store to see if it is weak. Then have the charging system tested. If all checks good then we will need to hve the system scanned to see if we can retrieve any stored fault codes. Let me know.