Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am planning to purchase a 2003 Jaguar X-type. When I drive

Customer Question

I am planning to purchase a 2003 Jaguar X-type. When I drive it I hear a soft
thudding. Drives beautifully. What might it be?
Category: Jaguar
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Has 96K miles on it. The thudding seems to be coming from just below the center of the car.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

When you say thudding is it like a clunking sound? When do you hear the noise?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not really. more rhythmic. does not sound like something is striking something else. occurs when in motion.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate your assistance Richard. Let's get to the root of this please.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

OK based on your description it sounds like the noise is coming from the center support bearing on the drive driveshaft. Unfortunately these are not serviceable so the complete shaft may need to be replaced. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Let's hope that's not the problem. If the car were up on a lift would the center support bearing be visible?
What would replacing the complete shaft cost? Is there someone you recommend in Honolulu?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes the complete shaft and center support is visible from under neath so it can be checked. The shaft is about $700 new from Jag and about a 1-1.5 hour labor charge.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there anything else you think it might be? Also, can you recommend a good, honest Jaguar mechanic here
in Hawaii, preferably Honolulu.Now, off the record, should I buy it for $3500 and have the work done? The exterior and interior are both
perfect. She's a beauty.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Richard...are you still there? Please respond to my previous comments.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Of course it can be something else in the driveline. Without hearing the noise it is hard to say. Try contacting this shop to see if they can assist. http://gmwhawaii.com/ $3500 is a pretty good price but I an tell you that the 2003 X type may not be the most reliable vehicle and can be costly to repair.