peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Theres is P1229 fault code and the throttle blade doesn't

Customer Question

theres is P1229 fault code and the throttle blade doesn't move with ignition on and pedal depressed. I also tried a throttle circuit test on SDD and failed to execute it properly.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The code set here is most common caused by a fault with the throttle motor itself seizing up or failing internally electronically.In most cases the entire throttle body itself needs replaced to correct this here.Here are the possible causes for the fault here:

Throttle motor electronics disconnected (make sure the throttle body connections are all plugged in)

Throttle body to ECM (engine computer) wiring is shorted to ground or broken (the wiring needs checked for any issues needing repaired)

The ECM doesnt have the supplied grounds it needs (this is least common but the wiring should be checked leading to the ECM and at the ECM)

Throttle motor failure and throttle body failure.(if all of the above are o.k. I suspect the throttle motor/throttle body needs replaced and is most common for this fault here)

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I already checked wiring from throttle body on the two pin connector as follows:
red wire to pin 106 and green wire to pin 80 at ECU are ok, but haven't checked for shorts to B+ or ground on any of these wires.The 4 connector was checked as follows:
Orange/yellow wire for 5 volts ok,
Black/green wire for ground ok,
Purple wire has 0.65V with pedal not depressed and remains steady there when depressing the pedal
Yellow wire has 1.65V with pedal not depressed and remains steady there when depressing the pedal.My understanding is that these last voltage readings should sweep to 3.97V and 4.2V respectively starting from the rest point on the pedal and rising until reaching WOT, but they don't. What else should I check?Already disassembled throttle body and applied direct current and ground to the motor inside and it moves as it should.Thanks!

I apologize for the delay.

Does the throttle body buzz or make any noises when trying to actuate it with the engine running or key on and pedal pressed?