Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I am turning my key in the ignition and the car is just

Customer Question

I am turning my key in the ignition and the car is just doing some electrical things like locking and unlocking the doors but starter motor isn't turning
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Hi im kevin if you turn head lights on and turn key to start position do they dim ? Is there any click in engine bay when key turned to start position ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Kevin. When I turn lights on without key they are just side lights. When I turn the key to start position they come up fullNo click as such, but some whirring. The radio console is saying CODE, and when I stop trying to start it the glow plug light is flashing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Some background also: I purchased a remote fob off amazon and programmed it successfully yesterday. Seems to operate fine. Tonight I opened the car with it and accidentally put the blank key that comes with it into the ignition and tried to turn it. Then I realised and put the old (correct) key in
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Ok is there a possibility that battery is low as it sounds that way

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could be, but this is a very particular pattern and I suspect it is in some kind of security mode that needs reset. I thought disconnecting the battery terminal might do that
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

And the code sign was there before you disconnect?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so. Radio won't switch on now
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

I think battery is flat i would try jump start before going any further just to rule it out

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm in a car park and not able to push it. Nobody around to use leads. The dash lights are not dimming so I think the battery is fine for now
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.

Ok i would recommend checking this first il opt out see if another tech can help

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Look at the console and tell me what the security light does when you turn the ignition ON. Also if an automatic see if the shifter will release from park with the ignition ON and foot on the brake. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Richard. If that's the red light on the centre console by the gear stick then it just stays on for 3-4 seconds then goes off. Car is manual by the way
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I have fixed this now. Once I entered the code it was ok
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

OK good. Let me know if you need anything else.