Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

2002 jag x type v6 awd. Battery took a dive, so I changed

Customer Question

2002 jag x type v6 awd. Battery took a dive, so I changed it.... No, I didn't leave the ignition on... I was a mechanic mostly heavy line 20 plus years. It's a no crank situation, plus I've got a gear box failure according to the dash display. .. security system?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Does the security light on the console flash very rapidly when you turn the ignition on? Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the shifter will not release.... the red light comes on when I turn the key on 3 to 5 sec. then goes out.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok check to make sue the inertia switch has not tripped. To reset it just depress the top of it as it is located behind the passenger side kick panel. There should be a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top. We then need to check power to all fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I depressed the inertia switch reset. Still nothing. I keep getting the gearbox fault on the dash. ??? Here's some history I bought this car on Craigslist 600.00 with 92k miles, the kid I got it from had bought it as a bank repo, with blown engine. He and his uncle put a used engine in it and rebuilt the trans (uncle was a trans guy) they did a good job. But before they got it all figured out uncle dies. It sat for 5 years.... fuel pump was dead, trans wouldn't shift.... limp mode! I checked the harness connections, and boom, trans worked perfectly since. I really haven't had any problems til this battery issue. Oh, some had put a additional start button which will crank the engine, but no start.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK not sure about the start button since it is not factory. With the ignition ON see if the throttle motor is buzzing/whinning as this tells us the ECM is functioning. We should check all the fuses with a digital multimeter checking for battery voltage to both sides of the fuse which will also test the switched system power relays. Also see if the P is lite up on the shifter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "p" does light up when ignition is turned on. I'm checking fuses now. I do hear a whirring (fuel pump) and a creaking for about 2 sec. when ignition is turned on. The creaking coming from under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, checked the fuses, all have batt voltage both sides..... except f13, f15, f16, f17.. no voltage either side with key on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the box under the hood.... now to get my 6'1" 265lbs body under the dash! Stay tuned.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok those fuses are the windshield heater and headlamps so they will not have power. Sounds like we may have a network problem since the shifter is stuck in park and the vehicle will not crank. FIRST DISCONNECT JUST THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL for about 30 minutes to see if it will reset. Then with your meter go to the data link connector and set your meter to resistance. With the ignition off and battery disconnected place on elead of your meter to pin 6 and the other meter lead to pin 14. See what your resistance reads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, 30 negative cable disconnect didn't work... I have no resistance between pin 6 and 14.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn't explain myself clearly. There's no continuity between pin 6 and 14.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What am I looking for, between pin 6 and 14?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the ignition on, all the lights on dash come on... 5 sec later the cooling fan comes on. And stays on til I turn ignition off. A/C off.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like we may have a problem with the ECM. We definitely should read resistance. 60 ohms on pin 6 to pin 14. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check it again, but Im pretty sure it's open... To clarify, pin 6 and 14 are in line and third from end?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I am on the road right now but Google OBD II connector for a pin diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked it up in a service manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the battery died, it cranked slow for maybe 3 seconds and stopped and did what all dead battery's do rattle the starter solenoid. And that could have killed the ecm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll get back to you. I'm going to go though all the procedures again. Double check and triple check..... I'm sure the ecm isn't cheap...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK , There's 60.2 OHMS between 6 and 14.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scanner doesn't see the ecm. What's next?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK the resistance is good. Check the ECM connector in the passenger rear of the engine compartment and check the ground next to the power steering reservoir. The ECM may have a security torx bolt securing it. Then check the large square connector next to the coolant reservoir to make sure the 10mm bolt is tight and the connector is not corroded.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the ground wires under the battery, checked the ecm harness,
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Double check all those fuses. See if the throttle is buzzing with the ignition ON. COuld be ECM relay or diode since it is not communicating.