Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I'm trying to get the crank in the right position on a 2000

Customer Question

I'm trying to get the crank in the right position on a 2000 jag 4.0 engine and I can't seem to get a straight answer as to with side of the motor is number piston on or what hole is correct to lock the crank
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for posting your answer.

If you look at the Jaguar FSM, you'll see there are actually two number 1 cylinders, one for each engine bank (see attached graphic). Firing order is as follows:

(Bank) - Cylinder
(1)-1 : (2)-1 : (1)-4 : (1)-2 : (2)-2 : (1)-3 : (2)-3 : (2)-4

Always use Cyl 1 Bank 1 (closest to the front of the car on the passenger side of the engine) for timing purposes.

Regarding finding the hole where the crank peg goes, there is a grommet covering the opening used to access the torque converter bolts. It's right next to the crank sensor. Remove the grommet and turn the crank until you see a triangular arrow indent on the drive plate. Once that triangle is centered on the opening, you can fit the peg in the crank sensor hole (see attached graphics).

Let me know if you need any other type of information on this Jag and I'll do my best to get it for you. Word of caution, working on these Jag V8s without the special tools is risky at best.

Hope everything goes well. Best Regards.